Well, I think it is time to show you all a furniture transformation I did recently. I went up to Utah to visit my sister that moved there. I helped her do some decorating and re-arranging of furniture in her new home. It was a lot of work but fun and I was glad I could help her get a little more settled in her new space.
Her family room is a great space, but when I got there everything was brown or tan. Brown couches, brown woodwork, brown buffet, brown ottoman, and tan walls and carpet. So, needless to say it needed some COLOR! I decided we needed to bring in some turquoise. So, out we went to shop for turquoise accessories. We found a few things. Then we happened upon an upholstered chair that I just loved. I talked her into getting it (luckily the store said we could bring it back if it didn’t work) and we took it home. It totally brightened up the space! The next day we found some pillows for the couch that had brown and turquoise, as well as yellow, green, and orange.
Well, the chair looked great, but it was this huge pop of color in the corner of the room and it needed to be balanced out a bit. She had an old sofa table that she has never liked sitting in her garage. I decided it needed a face lift. After a trip to Home Depot for some sandpaper, spray paint, paint and glaze, and a drop cloth, I was ready to give it new life! It is on the opposite side of the room and balances the color out nicely. I was THRILLED with how well it turned out! I think my sister likes it too. I hope so anyway.
Here is the before (almost). I removed the knobs already and started sanding. But you get the idea.
So, here is what I did. I sanded the whole piece just enough to rough it up and help the paint stick.
I did not use primer. I just sprayed Rustoleum Lagoon in Satin on it. It took 3 cans to cover this baby and honestly I should have used a fourth but since I was going to distress and glaze it I figured it was ok that there were some parts that were a little less covered than I would have liked. If I had had more time I would have gotten more paint but we were in a major rush!
After the paint dried a used a course grit sanding block to distress the edges. I have never used a block before and was surprised how easy it was.
Then I mixed a clear glaze with some dark brown paint (I bought one of those sample pots). It was about 3 parts glaze to one part paint. Working on one section at a time, I used one of those cheap dollar brushes to paint the glaze on, getting in the nooks and crannies. Then I quickly wiped it off with a damp rag. I used cut up t-shirts for rags.
After letting the glaze dry I used Minwax Finishing Paste to give it a protective coating. I really liked it! I used cheese cloth to apply it like it says on the can. It was easy to apply and buff to a dull shine.
We then added the new knobs and cleaned the glass for the top and moved it into the room. I just love how it looks! Here are some more pictures.
This is how it looked after painting but before distressing and glazing.