Frozen bananas from Disneyland are one of my favorite treats. But Disneyland is a long way away and I can’t go there very often. So I make my own frozen bananas and I think they are even yummier than Disneyland’s!
I LOVE frozen bananas. They’re a great treat to have in the freezer. They are healthy and easy to make. My kids love them as well. Here is how I make mine.
Place on cookie sheet covered with parchment and freeze for 30 minutes.
Melt 1.5 cups creamy peanut butter in a tall skinny jar in the microwave. Use a knife to stir it easily. Add a tablespoon or two of coconut oil to thin the peanut butter if you want. I like to find ways to get coconut oil into our diets and this is an easy one. You will have some peanut butter left over but you need to use enough so that you can dip them easily. This is a 12 oz. jelly jar.
Toast and chop about 1.5 cups of your favorite nuts. I like walnuts. I chopped these quickly by placing in a Ziploc bag and using a rolling pin to roll over them. Then I toast them in a dry sauté pan over medium heat, stirring often and watching carefully. Remove from pan immediately once they are golden brown and fragrant.
Remove bananas from freezer, dip into melted peanut butter and roll in nuts. Place back on parchment and place in freezer while you prepare the chocolate.
Place 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips in a freezer zip top bag. Make sure it is a freezer bag because they are thicker and wont split at the seams. Microwave for 30 seconds, then massage the bag to stir. Microwave until completely melted in 15 second intervals, massaging after every 15 seconds. Snip corner off bag and drizzle chocolate over bananas. I only put it on one side because I don’t want to overdo the chocolate.
Freeze until hard. Store in airtight freezer bag.
5 bananas (try to choose straighter rather than curbed bananas)
1.5 cups creamy peanut butter
1-2 Tbsps. Coconut oil (optional)
1.5 cups of your favorite nuts
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1. Cut bananas in half and insert a thin pop stick into them. Place onto cookie tray lined with parchment and freeze for 30 minutes.
2. Toast whole nuts in a small sauté pan over medium heat until golden brown and fragrant, stirring often to avoid burning. Watch continuously. Remove from pan and chop finely.
3. Place peanut butter in a tall thin glass jar (12 oz.). Melt in microwave, stirring every 15 seconds with a table knife. Do not overheat. You just want it melted so you can dip your bananas, but not hot.
4. Add optional coconut oil and stir to melt. Coconut oil is healthful and also thins the peanut butter slightly so you get a thinner coating on your bananas.
5. Dip each banana into the peanut butter so it is completely covered.
6. Immediately roll in chopped nuts and set back onto parchment paper covered baking sheet.
7. Freeze for 10 minutes.
8. Place chocolate chips in a zip top freezer bag. Get them all down into one corner of the bag and place in microwave to melt. Heat in 10-15 second intervals, massaging in between. Make sure it's completely melted.
9. Snip the corner off the bag and drizzle chocolate over the bananas. You only need to put the chocolate on one side...no need to turn them over.
10. Return bananas to freezer and freeze until hard.
11. Store in air tight bag or container in the freezer.
What’s your favorite Disneyland treat?