So, here are my top 10 tips for a fun kids party for younger kids:
1. No favor bags! Kids don’t need them. They don’t even notice when you don’t give them one. Save the money! If you HAVE to give them something to take home, make it ONE small thing or a prop they used during the party like a hat or princess wand or whatever.
2. Make the cake special. It doesn’t have to be professionally decorated. There are tons of cute and simple ideas out there for making fun cakes. Family Fun has a lot of good ones. Or, if baking is not your thing you can buy a fun cake from somewhere like the grocery store. You can also do cupcakes and just put something cute on the top that goes with the party.
6. Have an activity planned for the “waiting time” at the beginning of the party. Puzzles are good. Coloring is good. Coloring on a paper tablecloth is fun. Just something they can kind of do independently while you are welcoming other guests.
7. Do cake at the very end. Don’t hype the kids up on sugar until the last moment, and then send them out the door to their parents! I even suggest opening gifts before cake. It drives me nuts when the child is opening gifts and the kids are so super hyper that they are practically mobbing the birthday child. Waiting to serve cake at the end seems to help.
8. Serve Cheese Balls. You know what I mean...those little chip balls like Cheetos that you can buy in a huge barrel at Sam’s Club. Kids LOVE LOVE LOVE these things. Just make sure you let them wash their hands after they eat them so your whole house doesn’t turn orange.