This is my favorite chicken salad recipe. I thought I would share it
Recipe: Oriental Chicken Salad Sandwich Filling
Yield: fills 40-50 small croissants or (1/4 recipe=10-12 small croissants)
- 6 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, boiled and diced (1.5 lbs. chicken=2-3 breasts)
- 32 oz. Mayo=about 4 cups (8 oz. Mayo=about 1 cup)
- 8 oz. Water chestnuts, drained and chopped (2 oz. Water chestnuts)
- 1 ½ -2 cups sliced celery (½ cup sliced celery)
- 1 bunch green onions, finely chopped (3 green onions)
- 3 ¾ -4 oz. soy sauce=about ½ cup –add this to the mayonnaise (1 ½ Tbsp soy sauce)
- pepper to taste
Directions: The ingredient amounts in the parentheses make one quarter of the full recipe. Mix the soy sauce with the mayonnaise and then mix all the ingredients together. Serve in the mini croissants. This is really delicious and everyone loves it. You could add some grapes sliced in half if you wanted to have a little sweetness in there! Or you could add some chopped apple. This is a great shower food, but you will want to have it more regularly than that!
I sprinkled some chopped chives from my garden on it for a garnish.
Here is a way to make the recipe healthier and less caloric. Instead of the 2 cups of mayo (nearly 3000 calories) use 2/3 c. mayo, about 2 c. lowfat plain yogurt, a splash of milk and a splash of buttermilk. It tastes pretty much just like the regular recipe but the calories of the dressing were about 1600 instead of 6000.
Let me know how you like it!