MOM!!! DO NOT READ THIS POST!!! Its about something I am doing for you and I want it to be a surprise. So, STOP READING AND DELETE THIS EMAIL!!!
Everyone else, please scroll down. Thank you!
Ok, Hi everyone! Long time, no blog! I have been a blogging slacker lately. I’ve just been busy with real life lately! Sometimes I really wonder if anyone even reads my blog. I get very few comments, so it is hard to know. So, if you are reading this and feel like giving me a little encouragement, I could sure use a comment.
Now, I need some advice. Mostly I need advice from people who know a lot about furniture painting/refinishing. I am going to ask some of the great furniture bloggers I know of to come and take a look at this and give me their advice.
I picked up this little dresser someone had put out for the trash. It is obviously old as you can tell from the hardware and the solid wood…I think it is oak??
I want to refinish/paint this for my mother for Christmas. Now, my mom LOVES antiques, but she is less enthused about painted antiques. BUT, she needs to broaden her horizons a little and this dresser is too messed up to NOT be painted.
BUT, my mom adores burl wood. And the drawer fronts of this are burl wood. So, what I am thinking of doing is trying to leave some of this piece wood, while painting the rest of it. I was considering doing some sort of reverse stencil on the drawers. I am still not sure what I can get away with doing. The finish is pretty messed up.
SO, I need help knowing how to go about this.
Here are my questions:
1. What is the best way to restore the natural wood finish to parts that aren’t damaged that I may want to leave wood, rather than painted?
(this is the top)
2. What’s the best way to repair the parts that are totally damaged?
3. Is there any resource I can use to try to replace this handle that is lost? Because I love these antique handles and I know my mom does too.
4. If this were your piece, what would you do with it?
(here is the side)
(some close ups of the drawer faces)
5. What am I going to do about this door???? It is thrashed. I am not sure how to fix it. They had it hot glued in!!
6. I am thinking of ASCP for this in a blue color. What do you think of that? What blue do you love?? I want it to look old.
7. I almost forgot! THIS THING STINKS!!! What can I do about the smell? I know there are primers to block it, but if I want to leave some of it wood is there some type of clear coat that will block the smell?
THANK YOU sooooo much for taking the time to give me your ideas and help me get going on this. I know my mom will love it.