If you like this recipe, please PIN it for me! Thanks!
I LOVE this stuff! I made it for our SPOOKY HALLOWEEN DINNER last year. It is seriously one of my favorite treats and impossible to stop eating. It makes a HUGE amount. You need a giant bowl to mix it in, or you will have to divide it between two bowls.
Below is the basic recipe. You can add whatever you’d like to make it festive for Halloween or any other holiday. For Halloween, I added green food coloring to the syrup mixture, and then stirred in candy corns and pumpkins and Reese’s Pieces.
Don’t leave out the almond extract. I think that is what makes it sooooo yummy!
Gooey Chex Mix
- 9 cups Rice Chex
- 9 cups Corn Chex
- One box Golden Grahams cereal (generic is great!)
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup sliced or slivered or chopped almonds
- 2 cups light corn syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 1.5 cups butter
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. pure almond extract
- Mix first 5 ingredients in a VERY large bowl that has been sprayed well with cooking spray.
- In a heavy bottomed saucepan, bring corn syrup, sugar, and butter to a boil.
- Boil for 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and wait until boiling subsides, then stir in vanilla and almond extract. Add food coloring now, if desired.
- Pour over cereal mixture.
- Stir until cereal is evenly coated.
- Add in any other ingredients that would melt if added earlier, such as candies or mini marshmallows. Stir.
- Spread mixture onto cookie sheets sprayed with cooking spray or wax paper and allow to cool.
- Break into pieces and store in covered container.